Welcome to Clevedon Town Football Club

We now welcome the Magpies of Maidenhead for a rare home match…

This Saturday we welcome Maidenhead United to the Hand Stadium for their first ever visit and, for our first home match since February 17, we have the chance to complete a league double. The Magpies got off to a poor start to the season and we pulled off a remarkable 5-0 win at their ground last September with goals from Pitcher (2), Jacobs, Hapgood and Sheppard. However since then they have found some great form under new manager, Johnson Hippolyte, and are currently in 9th place, having beaten Cirencester (1-0 at home on Tuesday), Stamford, Halesowen and Tiverton in their last four matches. Maidenhead’s away record this season is six wins, four draws and seven defeats and so it should be a close game to say the least after our recent improved form. The Magpies side should include our former goalkeeper, Francesco Ramos, but several of the side followed their manager from Yeading, where he enjoyed FA Cup glory in their match with Newcastle United in January 2005. Lee Vickerman is likely to make his second home debut in place of the departed Kris Witcombe for Clevedon but we’ll bring you any more team news nearer the day on our forum. If you want to learn more about our visitors why not visit their website.

Corby Town 1 Clevedon Town 1

Clevedon travelled to Rockingham Road home of Corby Town, who were looking for maximum points in their fight for survival. A scrappy game ended all square with Clevedon picking up a valuable point.

The Seasiders stated this match with an unchanged team and kicked-off playing into a strong wind on firm playing surface. Chances were limited and The Steelmen came closest to scoring through Chris Grey and Chris Difante but their efforts went wide. Clevedon custodian Danny Greaves was fortunate to escape with a yellow card after handling outside his area in the 24th minute, Corby failed to take advantage, and resulting free-kick was scrambled away. Clevedon slowly forced their way into this match and Rob Scott set up Matt Rawlins but his overhead effort went wide of the mark. Close to half-time Jack Pitcher jinked his way into the penalty area but his close range shot was blocked and the half ended goal-less.

Mitchell Page replace Hanin Romhdane for the start of the second half, however the home side started the better and again went close through Chris Difante and Kevin Byrne. Clevedon manager Phil Bater, made a second substitution with Tom Jacobs replacing Matt Rawlins, shortly afterwards Corby deservedly took the lead when Joe Jonas headed in a free kick in the 75th minute. Clevedon levelled the score a minute later when top goal-scorer Jack Pitcher rose to head home a Danny Haines cross. Both sides went in search of a winning goal. However, it was the turn of the Corby goalkeeper to receive a yellow card in the 83rd minute when a near identical handling of the ball outside the area resulted in a free-kick which Tom Jacobs sent high and wide. Deep into stoppage time Danny Greaves saved a superbly struck free-kick and the game ended all square with Clevedon’s Lee Vickerman voted Man-of-the-match by the travelling supporters for his strong an reliable play at the back.

Halesowen Town 1 Clevedon Town 0

Clevedon returned to The Grove home of Halesowen Town to replay this fixture after the last encounter was abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch. Clevedon welcomed Lee Vickerman back to the club, and he started the match in the right full-back position replacing the recently departed Kris Witcombe.

Early pressure was applied by Clevedon as they forced several corners, however, solid defensive play by the home side stifled the visiting forwards, The Yeltz also had opportunities themselves in the first half, but a resolute Seasiders defence stood up to the pressure and the half ended all square.

Second-half started with Jack Pitcher having the first notable shot on goal, but home keeper James Dormand gathered easily. Halesowen forced a series of corners but the visitors defence again stood firm too thwart their efforts. In the 51st minute the home side went close with a header that flashed Clevedon’s crossbar, moments later Jack Pitcher beat three defenders to set up Matt Rawlins, but his header went straight into Dormand’s grateful hands.

The only goal of the game arrived in the 81st minute when Davion Hamilton beat Clevedon custodian Danny Greaves, with a low shot into the bottom corner of the net. In the minutes remaining Clevedon tried to draw level with a couple of long range shots from Skipper Rob Scott and Hanin Romhdane, the game was halted in the 89th minute when man-of-the-match Romhdane laid motionless after a strong challenge, after treatment he rejoined the match and Matt Rawlins went close with a 25 yard strike which just went over the bar. Final whistle blew ending any hope the visitors had of scoring an equaliser, however, bo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *